Saturday, October 10, 2009

Another Birthday

October 5th was my 35th birthday!!!! I don't normally tell everyone I see that it's my birthday but on this particular birthday I did. I told everyone. I don't think I've ever thought about my birthday as special as I thought that day was. I've lived another year in my life. 35 is going to be better than 34. On my birthday, I worked. But I also walked down and then later back up 7 flights of stairs. I didn't even run out of breathe. I shared some pink roses with some special women in my life. On the 4th, Daryl and I had all our immediate family over for dinner. It was a beautiful day. We grilled and ate cake. My 90 year old grandma even came along with my dad. She and my mother in law beat the guys in a game of Pitch. She "laid an egg" as my dad said, which meant she cackled and laughed about it! The guys played some football out back. It was just a great couple of days.

I don't feel older necessarily. But I do feel smarter and luckier. After I parked the car and got out on the 7th floor of the parking garage, I took a moment and looked out over the Lincoln downtown area. I noticed details I had never noticed before on buildings that I've seen a 100 times. I took in a deep breathe as I thought to myself, I'm lucky to have today. I had lunch with some friends. I bought a couple bracelets for a fundraiser. Then on Friday, I took the afternoon off and got a massage, bought some new running shoes and jogged 2 miles in them to break them in. On Tuesday, Tracy H and I met with a journalist from The Journal Star and did an interview about being young and having breast cancer. Look for it next week toward the end of the week. Life is good.

I am thankful for our cozy, warm home.

2 comments:

DP said...

Excellent! I couldn't have said it better myself! You didn't tell me about the parking garage. Too bad I have to go on the internet to find out the details! :)

Belinda said...

What a wonderful day!! I'm happy to say for many MORE years to come...YOU WILL ALWAYS BE OLDER THAN ME!!!!! Woo-hoo!!