Monday, March 9, 2009

Not the greastest news

I had my last round of chemo planned for today and I also had a MUGA (heart test) done before chemo. Well, let's just say they almost didn't do chemo. The MUGA came back showing that my heart has 18% heart damage from the Herceptin. My doctor wasn't in today, I met with his P.A., who consulted with my doctor's partner who recommended my getting the other 2 chemo meds (the ones that make me sick and tired) but to hold off on the Herceptin. My Doctor will be back at the end of the week and we will determine what I do next. It is a possibility my heart will rebuild it's self in a few weeks (I hope) and then we can continue on with the Herceptin. For that to happen, there will probably have to be another MUGA, and possibly a visit to a cardiologist. Then, from there we determine what happens next. Obviously I need a healthy working heart but I need the Herceptin too. It's really scary to deal with and disappointing.

I was crying with Daryl in the car after the appointment and you know, it's not the greatest news. Once again, I am left wondering the unknown. I am not good at the unknown. I peeked at wrapped Christmas presents when I was a kid, I have fast forwarded through movies to get to the end, I have read the last chapters of books. So, if you ask me, and I think I said at the beginning of this thing they call a journey, the waiting is the hardest part!!!

I will keep you posted. I am thankful for spring coming soon. I need to get out and start walking.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Tracy: I know this sounds like awful news, but it's also a part of your healing process. You are strong and have a lot of support from friends and loved ones. We are all praying for you.

Cheryl Y.