Saturday, January 31, 2009

Resources

I've learned about a couple resources that I want to share... St. E's has a Breast Cancer Support group the 1st Wednesday of each month at 7pm. Also, they have a "rehab" program. It's called A Time to Heal. It's a 12 week rehab program that helps get a cancer patient back into the swing of things after treatment. I will be joining this in the fall. Also, going through chemo, cancer patients can possibly receive 3-4 professional house cleanings for free! It's called Cleaning for a Reason at www.cleaningforareason.org. So, please pass these along to those you know could benefit.

I've put on some weight since the beginning of the year...7lbs. I know, don't worry about that right now, but it sucks. The week of chemo is such a drag. My legs hurt, I think because I've barely been moving for days, but also due to that shot. The hormone pills are working for the mood swings. But the hot flashes are horrible!!! Too bad I wouldn't sweat the pounds off :) I think I'm keeping a decent attitude about things right now. I met with my surgeon on Friday. The tentative plan is for my lumpectomy to be on April 3rd. It should be quick and routine. The doctor's aren't expecting any surprises. But like Dr. R said, it's not like on TV, he won't open me up and be able to "see" cancer. That's only on Grey's Anatomy :) It will take a few days to learn if my margins are clear. Then I will have 6-7 weeks of radiation 5 days a week.

I am really looking forward to the end of March. Brooklynn has had an ear and sinus infection so I haven't seen her in about 2 weeks, since I can't risk being around illness. I have only seen my sister for about 10 minutes within the last two weeks. At the end of March, it will be the end of cold/flu season and the end of my chemo. I want to be a HUGE part of my niece's life and it's just off to a rocky start. I did buy her two new toys though. She's a little young for them but they'll be there for her. I probably should start a collection at my house for when she comes to visit. I look forward to many days of babysitting and spoiling (Laura you didn't hear that) her!!!

I am so thankful for being an aunt. I became an aunt to Laura and Ben when Daryl and I got married and then again with my first biological niece with Brooklynn. I am thankful I am going to be here for a long time to be that cool aunt!!!

No comments: