Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Not much new

I don't have much to share, just thought I would post a "hello" to everyone. So, "Hello!"

I've been reading a VERY good book that a co-worker lent to me. It's called 'Foods to Fight Cancer.' It's written by Richard Beliveau, Ph.D. and Denis Gingras, Ph.D. It is so interesting and easy to read. Well, I take that back, there are some scientific things that I had to read a couple times to get through my chemo brain. But, overall, it just makes sense. I think anyone could benefit from it, not just cancer patients. It's all about eating the right foods. It's amazing how much cancer is in America compared to other countries. The book not only tells ya what foods/drinks/spices are good for you but why. And it doesn't just say, "Eat your fruits and vegetables." It also talks about Green Tea and red wine. Yummy!!!

So, I've lost almost 22 pounds being on Weight Watchers. It's been kinda easy. It does take some will power and determination. It seems since I started working out, the weight loss has slowed...hhhmmm. I wonder what is up with that. Speaking of working out, I got fitted today for a compression sleeve for my right arm so I reduce my risk of Lymphedema. For those of you who are not familiar with it, I'll try to explain. Your lymph system works to fight infection. I had (like many breast cancer patients) lymph nodes removed from my right arm. That creates a risk of lymphedema because the lymph system is not as strong and fluids build up, causing the arm to go big. There isn't a cure and I'm at risk forever. I've heard many stories including one in which a lady got a hangnail and she got lymphedema. Radiation also increases the risk. Have I said this lately...Cancer Sucks!!!!

My rehab group "A Time to Heal" is going great. I really appreciate all the women in the group and what they've done to help in my life. I hope that I've done the same in theirs. I think it has helped me move forward. Last week, something just kinda hit me and I just bawled. It just hit me that I had cancer. Wow. That might seem odd to hear after all I've posted but so much of the time, I was just going through the motions. Doing what I needed to do to live.

I am thankful for having today off work! I had a great day with myself.

No comments: